2018 Residency Session Dates
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 season!
Session One: June 15th — July 13th
Session Two: July 20th — August 17th
Session Three: August 31st — September 28th
Session Four: October 5th — November 2nd
The 2018 application deadline is February 1, 2018.
Notifications will be emailed to applicants by April 1, 2018.
Blue Mountain Center values racial, economic and environmental justice and gender equality. We encourage applications from people of color, women and LGBTQ artists and activists. Contact us if you have concerns or barriers to participating in a BMC Residency, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blue Mountain Center accepts applications from writers, artists of all media types, activists, and composers who create original work. The following information will be requested through our online application system:
- basic personal and contact info, availability, and session preferences
- a brief bio that includes professional achievements (1 - 2 pages)
- a brief statement of your proposed plan for work at BMC (1 - 2 pages)
- $25 application processing fee (payable by credit card or PayPal)
We do not request references. Spouses are not included in the acceptance invitation, though they may apply separately. Each applicant will be evaluated as an individual. Collaborating applicants should contact email@example.com before applying.
- 10 pages (double-spaced PDF, manuscript style)
- Please leave writing sample unsigned to ensure anonymity.
- Playwrights may submit up to 30 pages.
- Five JPEG images. Please include a corresponding image list (PDF) that cites titles, sizes, medium, and dates.
- A brief artist statement.
- Follow the regular application guidelines, and include more extensive information about your organization and activist background. A writing sample (up to 10 pages, PDF) is welcome but not required.
- In your plan, activists may highlight your desire for rest and rejuvenation. We consider ourselves an active community of artists and activists but also recognize the value of time for reflection for those who have worked tirelessly for important causes for months or years without respite.
- Composers can upload in MP4, MP3, M4a, or WAV format.
- Scores are not necessary.
- Film/video applicants should submit a link to a 10-minute vimeo.com work sample.
Before you apply
Please note that cell phones are prohibited at Blue Mountain Center. We've found that cell phones and the constant connectivity they entail conflict with our mission and detract from the experience of being here. We have a phone booth with unlimited long distance calling available for resident use. Please read Rob Nixon's Reflections on the Cell Phone Policy for a former resident's perspective on the policy.
There is no Wi-Fi. A small internet center located in the Main House has one public computer and several ethernet cables for personal laptops. We have several Apple USB adapters available for residents whose laptops do not have ethernet ports.
Both the phone booth and internet center are open to residents 24 hours a day. Family and loved ones may call the BMC office in the event of an emergency.